Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lead to the Water

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer,The Holy One of Israel;
I, the Lord your God,teach you what is for your good,
and lead you on the way you should go.
If you would hearken to my commandments,

your prosperity would be like a river,
and your vindication like the waves of the sea;
Your descendants would be like the sand,
and those born of your stock is like grains,
their names never cut off
or blotted out from my presence.
- Isaiah 48:17-19 -



We discuss a lot of different things at dinner time. One evening, my daughter told me that one of her friends is agnostic. As a parent of already grow-up children, I try my best to let them be their own person, hoping that what we have taught them during their growing-up years are never forgotten. Everyday I worry about their travel from home to school and vice versa, I worry about the temptations that might come before them and how they react to them, I worry about their safety, I constantly worry about everything and anything. It never occurred to me that their faith was something to worry about. As our discussion progressed, it became clear to me that, as smart as she is, the condition of her faith is very fragile. As my husband, Bong, would tell me, "we can lead them to the water but we cannot force them to drink". It breaks my heart, but I have stopped waking her up on Sundays for church, but on some Sundays that she decides to come with us, she is always welcome and my heart rejoices. My prayers comfort me. My prayers will lead her to the water and let her drink it. My prayers give me assurance... that her name shall never be cut off or blotted out from His presence. iPray.

- no Angel -

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, the trials of parenthood.
    Love the picture. Perfect for the topic.

    ReplyDelete